How do I log on while in flight?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Jun 27 21:31:30 UTC 2002

Yo Jacob!

Billing has nothing to do with it.  If there is one thing Cell Phone
networks get right it is billing.

The problem is frequency re-use.  For old style Analog cell phones
there are only just over 300 chennels per carrier.  No problem because
cell phones are line of sight and you can not see very far in your car.

So in a big city like SF, the same frequencies are reused every few miles.

Get in an airplane, fly over SF bay, make a cell call and one frequency
is used up for the whole bay.  If everyone on one 747 did that then
all the frequencies would be used up and no-one else could get on.

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Jacob M Wilkens wrote:

> I'm fairly certain the cell networks won't crash - as demonstrated in some
> calls made last fall. It's more like they won't be able to bill for the time
> or keep track of your calls.

Now let's stop this off topic stuff and get back to Ch. 11 news...

RGDS
GARY