mail-abuse.org down?

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Jun 8 15:06:04 UTC 2002

Yesterday morning, I noticed mail-abuse.org appeared to be down
(unreachable). I checked again, and it's still unreachable.  In fact, I
can't even reach its name server.

I did some more looking last night, and it seems it's not down, it's just
unreachable from my network.  Even stranger, it's only unreachable from
Atlantic.Net's primary ARIN block of 209.208.0.0/17.  Traceroutes die at
so-1-1-0.mpr1.sql1.us.mfnx.net (209.249.203.58).

Router interfaces (using provider IPs) and a smaller IP block from an ISP
we acquired are able to reach mail-abuse.org, as are other networks I have
access to.  We don't appear to be listed in the MAPS RBL+.  I've tried
clearing BGP sessions, forcing packets out through alternate paths, with
no affect.

Is this some weird routing glitch somewhere between me and MAPS or has
someone at MAPS or vix.com decided they don't like me?

Also, though it seems to be on a totally different network, I've just
noticed I have the same problem reaching f.root-servers.net only from
209.208.0.0/17.  Here traceroutes die at 189.ATM11-0-0.BR1.PAO1.ALTER.NET
(146.188.148.105).

I certainly hope this isn't yet another case of someone confusing
Atlantic.Net/Internet Connect Company, Inc. with

ATLANTIC INTERNET (NETBLK-Q0417-65-124-104-0)
   621 NW 53RD ST. SUIT E135
   BOCA RATON, FL 33487
   US

   Netname: Q0417-65-124-104-0
   Netblock: 65.124.104.0 - 65.124.111.255

Atlantic Internet is full of commercial spammers and has just recently
resulted in several providers blacklisting our primary ARIN block thinking
we were the same company.

 Atlantic Net                |