DC power versus AC power

joe mcguckin joe at via.net
Mon Dec 30 06:37:49 UTC 2002

It only takes 30ma to put your heart into atrial fibrillation. In the usa,
gfi's are set to trip at 5ma.

Normally 48VDC wouldn't be considered a 'lethal' voltage (I've talked to
telephone technicians who said they used to play a game in the CO by wiring
a handle to 90V ring voltage and seeing who could grab it for the longest
time), but you've got to consider the extreme cases where the working
environment may be wet or a worker could get exposed through open wounds,
puncture wounds or mucus membranes.

Under the right circumstances, nearly any voltage can be lethal.

Joe