Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Dec 10 10:50:11 UTC 2002

> > I wouldn't be surprised to see this picked up in the Cook Report and
some
> > of the trade press because of your postings. The more people become
aware
> > of how the system is broken, the sooner we can fix it.

> People actually read that?

Yes. The people who don't read NANOG do read the Cook Report and the trade
press. If you want to reach everyone in charge of operating a network then
you need to use more media than just NANOG.

> A simple solution:
> 1) IANA creates an IANA-RESERVED IRR object
> 2) Entities switch to using this for their filters, and the
> updates happen automagically

This is essentially what I am suggesting except using LDAP rather than
RADB/IRR technology. I don't believe that RADB will ever be used by the
majority of North American network operators but I do believe that LDAP
has a chance of 100% penetration in the same way that 100% of network
operators use UNIX servers and scripting languages in their network
operations.

--Michael Dillon