AT&T NYC

Me smentzer at mentzer.org
Thu Aug 29 05:25:24 UTC 2002

> Massive stupidity shouldn't win you points just because you admit to it
> (note that I consider the *massive* stupidity part to start at the
> inability to troubleshoot the problem, not the failure in change
> management).

I don't think anyone can point to massive stupidity w/o knowing exactly
what happened and the exact steps taken to fix it.  Even though the RFO
note indicated the "problem" and the "solution", my guess is that things
were a bit more complicated than finding a couple config statements,
putting them back in and watching the network magically start working
again.

Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong :)

> But to be fair, when a NOC or Customer Service person writes an RFO, it
> usually comes out sounding very very bad, regardless of the actual
> complexity of the situation. I'm certain all the AT&T customers hope that
> was the case here. :)

Agreed, and sometimes the RFO tends to be a bit simplistic compared to the
actual trouble.

-sean
Spoon!