IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

Ian Cooper ian at the-coopers.org
Thu Aug 22 11:45:27 UTC 2002

--On 22 August 2002 01:16 +0200 Brad Knowles <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

> At 5:35 PM -0500 2002/08/21, Peter E. Fry wrote:
>
>>    Relay through your upstream (hierarchical approach)?  i.e. Register
>>  your server(s) with your provider, who is presumably trusted (registered
>>  with the global system).
>
> 	This is the approach I recommend, and have recommended for years.

That's all well and good until said ISP's upstream servers go
slow/break/take an age to deliver a message you can deliver from your own
host immediately.  [It also doesn't scale particularly well]

I thought I was buying *Internet* access anyway... shouldn't that mean I
have the right to talk which hosts I want on which port I want?