IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Thu Aug 22 12:46:10 UTC 2002

> That's all well and good until said ISP's upstream servers go
> slow/break/take an age to deliver a message you can deliver
> from your own
> host immediately.  [It also doesn't scale particularly well]

I don't believe this at all.  By going with a whitelist type system that
can cache or do cached lookups locally, it wouldn't take any more time
to deliver mail than it does today.  In fact, it would probably be
faster since mail systems would be a lot cleaner not dealing with all
the crap that's out there now.  I'm not saying that people can't run
their own mail servers, certainlly your ISP can register your mail
server for you, in their IP space, so that it can be tracked.

> I thought I was buying *Internet* access anyway... shouldn't
> that mean I
> have the right to talk which hosts I want on which port I want?

Sure it does.  But if the remote host says you need to ID yourself as a
"trusted source", and they require it, it's not just your right to
connect to anyone you want, but the right of the remote server to
require that of you.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net

A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to
do.