$400 million network upgrade for the Pentagon

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Aug 15 19:58:20 UTC 2002

At 7:10 PM -0700 2002/08/14, Scott Granados wrote:

>  Actually, yes you do block all cell phones and transmissions in these
>  facilities.

	Are you talking about a SCIF -- Secure Compartmented Information
Facility?  The sort of place where they basically Tempest-shield the
entire building?

	Yes, those are huge Faraday cages, and they do completely block
all signals going in and coming out.  However, while there are SCIFs
inside the Pentagon (including the National Military Command Center,
or NMCC), the entire Pentagon itself is not a SCIF.

>                                Classified environments are very different
>  and have an entirely different set of requirements.

	Indeed.  The scariest thing I saw inside the NMCC was their
complete lack of regard for internal security.  They assumed that if
you made it past the guards, you obviously had clearance, so they
didn't bother locking up classified material when they were done with
it (just at the end of the day), they didn't bother covering
classified material while it was on their desk but they weren't using
it precisely at that moment, etc....

	It's pretty damned entertaining to take your parents through the
NMCC on a private tour, and watch everyone scramble like hell when
they figure out that these two middle-aged tourists don't have a lick
of clearance.  ;-)

	Oh, and yes -- I did take them to see the Crisis Action Center,
including the DEFCON board.  However, the DEFCON status for the
Unified & Specified Commands had been blanked, because I told the
officer on duty that I wanted to show them the room from the viewing
balcony above.