Worm probes

Eric Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Tue Sep 18 23:57:28 UTC 2001

We found the following on an infected server also:

For each share on the server, it generates a .eml file and puts it in the
root of the share.  It then creates a index.asp, index.htm, default.asp and
default.htm on the root of the share which points to and downloads the .eml
file from the root of the share.  Neat thing is, anyone with Active Desktop
(View my Desktop as a Web Page) enabled is going to get it, presumably.
Simply by browsing the shared directory.  It looks like it morphs the .eml
file names to.  Not all are "readme.eml", althought they all are ~ 79K in
size.

Happy disinfecting.  My customer on the end of a 56K FR link was fsck'd this
afternoon.  Welcome to IT during the first war fo the 21st century ...

Eric

  Eric Germann                                        CCTec
  ekgermann at cctec.com                                 Van Wert OH 45801
  http://www.cctec.com                                Ph:  419 968 2640
                                                      Fax: 603 825 5893

"It is so easy to miss pretty trivial solutions to problems deemed
complicated.  The goal of a scientist is to find an interesting problem,
and live off it for a while.  The goal of an engineer is to evade
interesting problems :)"  -- Vadim Antonov <avg at kotovnik.com> on NANOG