Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

Gregory Urban urban at cs.umbc.edu
Mon Oct 29 18:36:55 UTC 2001

At 10:45 PM 10/25/2001, Paul Vixie wrote:

> > > I am sure, Digital Island gets the necessary permissions from network
> > > owners before hammering them with those requests, right?
>
> > The same "permissions" that allow seamless end-to-end connectivity across
> > the entire Internet.  The same "permissions" you granted to others when
> > you signed the connectivity agreement.
>
>"everything not expressly forbidden is allowed" is a workable model for
>peering relationships and even transit relationships, but it only works
>within the context of a direct relationship of some kind.

I remember when the Internet was a collaborative collection of networks and
network operators attempting to allow seamless connectivity among the
users/content on each network.  Based on the tone of this thread, those
days are long gone.

How much money do I need to send each of you for forcing this email, with
an opinion that is contrary to yours, to traverse your network without your
expressly stated consent?

Greg U