Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

Wojtek Zlobicki wojtekz at idirect.com
Mon Oct 29 21:18:01 UTC 2001

> I remember when the Internet was a collaborative collection of networks
and
> network operators attempting to allow seamless connectivity among the
> users/content on each network.  Based on the tone of this thread, those
> days are long gone.
>
> How much money do I need to send each of you for forcing this email, with
> an opinion that is contrary to yours, to traverse your network without
your
> expressly stated consent?

The email that you have sent us is part of a discussion.  If any one of us
is unhappy with your opinion or the amount of mail on this list thay can
easily unsubscribe.  Also keep in mind that all of us have "opted-in" for
this list.

The Internet stopped being free when individuals started to abuse its open
policies.  If we did not have theft and violence in our seciety, we would
have no need for police, security, locks on doors.

Digital Island violated common courtesy by not informing users that it was
scanning ahead of time.  Listservs like this one reach a very large number
of people and could have been a start of getting information out there.  I
am not opposed to certain probes, I am opposed to probes that I do not know
about.