Photo Op: You too can have your picture taken with a.root-servers.net

Christopher A. Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Wed Nov 14 14:15:21 UTC 2001

However, do not forget that only Verisign operates the .com, .net, and
.org name servers.

While it seems that the government meeting yesterday was focused on
physical security, which as pointed out below, is somewhat a moot point
given the physical diversity of the multiple gtld-servers.net boxes, we
can't forget about the network security of these machines.

IIRC, Verisign operates every gtld-servers.net server, and as such, I'm presuming that they feature very
similar software builds. As such, a security exploit found on one of them
could potentially be present on all of them. If such an exploit were to be
found and used, the results could be catastrophic for anyone with servers
(or trying to access servers) in the .com, .net and .org namespaces.

Does Verisign use the same hardware and OS on all of these servers, or are
the vendors distributed?

-Chris

--
Christopher A. Woodfield		rekoil at semihuman.com