Photo Op: You too can have your picture taken with a.root-servers.net

Daniel Golding dgolding at sockeye.com
Wed Nov 14 16:03:49 UTC 2001

Interestingly, this revolving photo op with the A root name server has been
going on for several years. To those who are not very technical, there is
something uniquely reassuring about the idea that the internet has a
"center" or a "brain". It is difficult to say why, but I speculate that the
idea that the internet is easier to cripple or destroy helps government
officials sleep at night, because it maintains the illusion of control.
Distributed systems are much harder to control, and are disconcerting to
those who's task is control of systems rather than their perpetuation.

- Daniel Golding