Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Sat Nov 10 19:00:21 UTC 2001

It took me a while to get back to this.

> > Unsolicited Bulk E-mail.
>
> I'm not sure I like the use of the word bulk.  The reason is that
> it is not precise.  Is 10 bulk?  50?  Is it only bulk if I use a
> "spam tool"?

What's worse, "bulk" cannot be proved by a single victim (recipient), which
is how a lot of ISP "abuse desks" close tickets: "you were the only one who
complained, so it wasn't spam."

> Unsolicited, Commercial, and E-mail all have precise definitions.
> particularly if we're going to get something (eventually) into a
> useful law I think we need to make sure it is entirely defined of
> precise terms.

I've seen a fair amount of spam recently that had no commercial intent.  It
doesn't stop being spam just because the desire is to get me to vote for some
candidate or support some government or even NGO program.

For a better standard than UBC/UCE, see http://mail-abuse.org/standard.html.