Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Sat Nov 10 19:05:29 UTC 2001

It took me a while to get back to this.

> While I normally would not object to any ISP using ... content filters,
> the "get another provider if you object" argument doesn't work nearly as
> well if there's only one DSL or cable provider that serves the customer.

Without that argument, there's a clear path to "since your customers have
no choice, you are not allowed to filter content."  While this probably
applies to DSL since it's "like telco" and there's already legislation
about what telcos can't filter because of their old "natural monopoly"
status, I don't think it applies to Critial Path or MSN or AOL or any other
mail server operator -- there is choice, and thankfully, there is no hint
of legislation coming for "mail server content filtering policies."