Network Sizing Guidelines?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at civicnet.org
Fri Mar 2 22:15:23 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Daniel R Glover wrote:

> Can you point me to some current network sizing advice for Internet service
> (WAN and LAN)?  I am looking for rules-of-thumb, guidelines, equations,
<snip>
> I've tried the related links off the NANOG pages, but some are old or
> broken.  I have found some advice like "a T1 will support 200 to 300 28K

There's are two very simple rules:

- if you install it, they will use it

- you can never have too much bandwidth

More seriously, it really depends on what you're doing - an office full of
graphic artists needs a lot more bandwidth than an office full of
data entry clerks.

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman at civicnet.org	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"