Network Sizing Guidelines?

Daniel R Glover Daniel.R.Glover at grc.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 2 22:00:08 UTC 2001

Can you point me to some current network sizing advice for Internet service
(WAN and LAN)?  I am looking for rules-of-thumb, guidelines, equations,
books, or even anecdotal evidence that would help me in evaluating future
network design concepts.  I have somewhat unconventional network
constraints, but I would like to start from current conventional
assumptions on, say, numbers of users (home or office) that can be
supported by various bandwidths.

I've tried the related links off the NANOG pages, but some are old or
broken.  I have found some advice like "a T1 will support 200 to 300 28K
modem users," but I hope there may be more current advice somewhere
especially with regard to QoS, future trends, and to larger networks.  Any
relevant pointers or advice would be welcome.

R/
Dan Glover