SBC forcing new contract on ISPs

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Tue Jun 26 05:18:02 UTC 2001

At 6:20 PM -0800 6/25/01, Dee McKinney wrote:
>I've never dealt with the California PUC yet....but in Alaska, it's
>called the RCA, for Regulatory Commision of Alaska, and has challenged
>the term "clueless". I'm wondering if there are any PUC commision members
>with any real understanding ?

Yes. There are some midwest states who do (or at least, "did" when I
worked for GTE TelOps) ... they proceeded from the principle of "If a
PUC person is dealing with this, whether $COMPLAINANT is right or
wrong, $UTILITY is paying us $SOME_HOURLY_RATE for the clerk's time
in dealing with it"...

GTE has (or at least had) a "cash buyout" that reps were capable of
giving (at the time, it was up to $500, with $1000 on supervisor
approval) ... so obviously the hourly "fine/rate" even for claims
where the utility was "right" was high enough to justify such. :)

| dredd at megacity.org  | "Conan! What is best in life?"          |
|  Derek J. Balling   | "To crush your enemies, see them        |
|                     |    driven before you, and to hear the   |
|                     |    lamentation of their women!"         |