standards for giving out blocks of IP addresses

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Mon Jun 18 14:28:22 UTC 2001

Richard:
  I'm glad you jumped in here to clarify things from ARIN's perspective.
Regardless of what the actual policy is, I think it's important for
everyone to have a reasonable expectation that it's understandable and
consistant. This is particularly true when end-users are involved. If you
don't mind, I'd like you to further clarify a couple points below.

Chuck Scott

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Richard Jimmerson wrote:

> It is true that end-user organizations who request additional IP
> address space directly form ARIN must demonstrate 80 percent of
> their prior assignment has been efficiently utilized before their
> new request may be considered.  It is also true this is not stated
> at the above referenced URL.  It is stated at a different URL where
> ISP guidelines for issuing additional IP address space to customers
> is described (more about this below).  A discussion about adding this
> language to http://www.arin.net/regserv/ip-assignment.html will take

  While my focus in this discussion wasn't on allocation by ARIN directly
to end users, I'm glad to hear this discussion will be taking place.

> When it comes to ISPs who assign IP address space to their end-user
> customers, it is expected the assignment size will be determined based
> on the customer's 25 percent immediate and 50 percent one-year needs,
> as described in RFC 2050.  It is also stated at
> http://www.arin.net/regserv/addipspace.html that ISPs need to adhere
> to the following when considering requests for additional IP address
> from their customers:
>
> "Reassignment information for prior allocations must show that each
> customer meets the 80% utilization criteria and must be available via
> SWIP/RWHOIS prior to your issuing them additional space."

  The very next bullet point after the above quote is "Customers must
follow ARIN guidelines for ISPs." I can see how those two bullet points
are appropriate when those customers in turn assign address space to
their customers, however, it seems funny to say that true end-users should
be following guidelines for ISP's.

  This brings up a question I have hesitated to bring into the mix. What
is meant by "80% utilzation"? It would seem to me that to apply this
fairly and evenly to ISP's and end-users alike, that it needs to be a
consistant definition. From that, I'd expect the definition to be 80% of
the end-user's address space is internally assigned to specific tasks
(sub-nets, ...) rather than simply defining it as 80% of the address space
is in use by hosts (broadcast addresses, ...).
  In other words, if an end user internally assigns a block of addresses
to an application where they expect that application to immediatly consume
25% of that block and 50% in a year, then that whole block should be
considered consumed when figuring the 80% utilization target. Perhaps this
is the common interpretation, but I suspect some ISP's don't figure it
that way. In any case, if that's how ARIN intends the consumption of
end-user space to be figured, then I agree that the 80% target for
additional assignments to end-users is a rational figure. It would,
however, be nice if that is stated in official policy so assignments are
handled in a consistant manner.

Chuck