standards for giving out blocks of IP addresses

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Mon Jun 18 13:12:23 UTC 2001

> Again, though it's not written down (Richard Jimmerson??
> Comments?), ARIN does not issue end-users additional blocks
> until their existing blocks are efficiently utilized.

ARIN does review requests for IP address space from end-users
who can justify the minimum assignment size of a /20, as described
at http://www.arin.net/regserv/ip-assignment.html

It is true that end-user organizations who request additional IP
address space directly form ARIN must demonstrate 80 percent of
their prior assignment has been efficiently utilized before their
new request may be considered.  It is also true this is not stated
at the above referenced URL.  It is stated at a different URL where
ISP guidelines for issuing additional IP address space to customers
is described (more about this below).  A discussion about adding this
language to http://www.arin.net/regserv/ip-assignment.html will take
policy mailing lists are open to everyone.  Subscription information
and archives can be found at http://www.arin.net/members/mailing.htm

When it comes to ISPs who assign IP address space to their end-user
customers, it is expected the assignment size will be determined
based on the customer's 25 percent immediate and 50 percent one-year
needs, as described in RFC 2050.  It is also stated at
http://www.arin.net/regserv/addipspace.html that ISPs need to adhere
to the following when considering requests for additional IP address
from their customers:

"Reassignment information for prior allocations must show that each
customer meets the 80% utilization criteria and must be available
via SWIP/RWHOIS prior to your issuing them additional space."

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations