Update: CSX train derailment

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jul 20 17:47:15 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 08:28:37AM -0400, David Lesher wrote:
> I'm not sure where they could run temporary fiber...
> Next to the fire hoses snaking down the street?

You'd be surprised what they can come up with on short notice.
For temporary fixes fiber can be quickly rolled out next to railroad
tracks (yes, just laying on the ground) or down other right of way
(sometimes even public roads).  They generally put it in an innerduct
for some protection and then just roll it out.  Ariel grade fiber
can be very quickly attached to poles temporarily in some cases as
well.  Various people with conduit underground tend to be helpful,
if for a price, of course after they repair their own cables.

Clearly running it across a downtown street is not an option, but
there are probably a couple alternatives and it's going to all come
down to what's on hand, and what they can get permission to do
fast.  (A good time to have emergency clauses in your rights of
way agreements.)

[Note: I work for AboveNet/MFN on the IP side, and have no idea
 how exactly our fiber is being rerouted around this particular
 incident.  These are just random musings based on past stories.]

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440