Update: CSX train derailment

Dave Stewart dbs at ntrnet.net
Fri Jul 20 17:58:31 UTC 2001

At 01:47 PM 7/20/2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 08:28:37AM -0400, David Lesher wrote:
> > I'm not sure where they could run temporary fiber...
> > Next to the fire hoses snaking down the street?
>
>You'd be surprised what they can come up with on short notice.
>For temporary fixes fiber can be quickly rolled out next to railroad
>tracks (yes, just laying on the ground) or down other right of way
>(sometimes even public roads).  They generally put it in an innerduct
>for some protection and then just roll it out.

In this case, they're gonna have a little trouble layin' it next to the
track... at least until the fire's out and they're allowed into the tunnel.

I realize there are other ways around it - they can hang fiber on poles
through downtown if necessary...

What would make more sense to me (and what has likely occurred) is to move
the traffic over to other fiber routes where dark fiber is already
available - and I do understand that it's not always possible, due to
termination, availability and other issues.