sorry to ruin several of your evenings...

poptix at sleepybox.poptix.net poptix at sleepybox.poptix.net
Tue Jan 30 20:05:00 UTC 2001

On the same topic but not in reply to anyone in particular, I thought this
should be mentioned:

[root at host bind-9.1.0]# dig @a.bind9.nameserver.com authors.bind chaos txt

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @a.bind9.nameserver.com authors.bind chaos txt
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 8, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      authors.bind, type = TXT, class = CHAOS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
authors.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "Michael Sawyer"
authors.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "Brian Wellington"
authors.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "Andreas Gustafsson"
authors.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "Bob Halley"
authors.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "Mark Andrews"
authors.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "James Brister"
authors.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "Michael Graff"
authors.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "David Lawrence"

;; Total query time: 1 msec
;; FROM: host to SERVER: a.bind9.nameserver  192.168.0.1
;; WHEN: Tue Jan 30 14:00:54 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 244

While it's not exactly a problem, it does give away that you're running
bind9 (I do like the new 'version' option where you can set the
version.bind reply) even if you change the version to appear to be a bind8
server.

				Matthew S. Hallacy
				XtraTyme Technologies
				Systems/Network Administrator