Favorites (Re: UUNET peering policy)

John Fraizer nanog at EnterZone.Net
Tue Jan 16 01:36:42 UTC 2001

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Charlie Watts wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Travis Pugh wrote:
>
> > Warning: the following is oversimplified:
> >
> > I think what it comes down to, and what it has come down to at least
> > since the inception of hosting companies who spew large amounts of
> > traffic back at the access networks, is who gets paid twice for
> > carrying the traffic?  Does UUNET get paid twice for carrying the
> > traffic, once by their customer that pays for dial or leased line
> > access and once by the hosting company that pays for peering because
> > their traffic ratio is off?  This seems to be the status quo.  The
> > other way around would mean that the hosting company got paid twice
> > for carrying the traffic.
>
> If I am a generic business, and I connect to UUNET twice, in different
> locations, and the ONLY traffic I send is between my two offices, should I
> expect a discount on transit?
>
> No. I would expect to pay it at both ends.
>
> What is the difference?
>
> --
>                           "Do not pound nails into glass", said Tom
>                           painstakingly.
> Charlie Watts
> cewatts at frontier.net

Actually, if you are a generic business, and you connect to UUNET twice,
in different locations, and the ONLY traffic you send is between your two
offices, you should talk to your salesperson about VPN services on their
backbone vs purchasing transit from them.  And YES -- you SHOULD expect
it to be less expensive.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc