Favorites (Re: UUNET peering policy)

Charlie Watts cewatts at frontier.net
Tue Jan 16 00:22:51 UTC 2001

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Travis Pugh wrote:

> Warning: the following is oversimplified:
>
> I think what it comes down to, and what it has come down to at least
> since the inception of hosting companies who spew large amounts of
> traffic back at the access networks, is who gets paid twice for
> carrying the traffic?  Does UUNET get paid twice for carrying the
> traffic, once by their customer that pays for dial or leased line
> access and once by the hosting company that pays for peering because
> their traffic ratio is off?  This seems to be the status quo.  The
> other way around would mean that the hosting company got paid twice
> for carrying the traffic.

If I am a generic business, and I connect to UUNET twice, in different
locations, and the ONLY traffic I send is between my two offices, should I
expect a discount on transit?

No. I would expect to pay it at both ends.

What is the difference?

--
                          "Do not pound nails into glass", said Tom
                          painstakingly.
cewatts at frontier.net