Dialup congestion and winter weather (fwd)

Roeland Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Wed Jan 3 06:53:01 UTC 2001

That isn't the only issue. I've just found that Southern Bell does bandwidth
limiting on their residential customers. Most folks would never know the
difference, but when v.90 modems start consistantly connecting at 14.4K, or
less, then I know that the telco is only allowing 32K per voice channel
(rather than the usual 64K). BTW, that was using AT&T universal LD from
Graham, NC, to Livermore, CA. I only ever got full-speed late at night.