Dialup congestion and winter weather (fwd)

Roeland Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Thu Jan 4 08:18:57 UTC 2001

1) I'm my own ISP, dialing into my own modem banks. I am reasonably
confident that I know what my own systems are doing. They are not
interacting as you describe.

2) Local loop-back tests show that my servers see full bandwidth, on their
last mile. Similar testing on the NC "last mile" show the bandwidth
contraints.  Since the bandwidth is constrained on the "last mile", the LD
trunk behavior is irrelevent. Although, that was a probability, until I did
the tests.

3) You really wouldn't believe the telco attachment equipment I carry in the
*other* half of my lap-top case. On the road, I can attach to the
tin-cans-n-string communications network, if I have to. Even if it does add
15 pounds to the carry weight<g>.