Beer and Gear surprise

Ukyo Kuonji kawaii_iinazuke at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 21 05:36:55 UTC 2001

Did I miss some discussion about the Beer and Gear surprise?  I, personally,
feel somewhat cheated that there was no "gear" available from the vendors in
attendance.

If I had known that there was to be no freebees, I certainly could have went
to dinner early and not hung around to look at equipment that I already have
seen directly from the vendors.

I did not spend money to come out to Atlanta to get hit upon by vendors.  If
I had wanted to look at vendors, I could have went to some other conferences
and spent more time looking at equipment that I won't be recommending for
deployment.  Without some freebees to draw the nanog conference attendees to
the vendors, I don't even see the point of continuing to have the the Beer
and Gear part.

I have found this on the web site:

"In striving to achieve these goals, all tutorials and presentations,
including BOF presentations, are reviewed in advance and are limited to
those entirely of a general technical nature, explicitly prohibiting
material that relates to any specific product or service offerings. For
similar reasons, equipment exhibits are limited to the "Beer 'n Gear"
sessions, and vendor giveaways are not permitted at any time during the
meeting."

I'm not sure if there was a vote of the membership, or what, but I had
certainly missed it.

Does anyone have more information on this?

UK

---
Opinions in this email are the personal opinions of the author and are not
associated with author's employer.  This email account is a not the regular
email account of the author and is being used for the protection of the
employer.