Cabling databases and wireless networks

batz batsy at vapour.net
Wed Dec 12 21:02:02 UTC 2001

Though I do not have a specific solution for you, your Campus -> Building
-> Floor -> Room hierarchiy will work for managing the actual equipment.

If you want to deal with layer2 and up, (channel, segment, subnet)
I would recommend listing Switch -> VLAN ->Port, and make it
compatible with Router -> Subnet, and for the actual wireless segments,
use GIS information, whereby you enumerate the wireless networks by
B/SSID (if they are wavelans), link that information with your switching
information, and then walk around with a laptop, wireless card, and
a GPS and calculate the range of each access point, and put the
results on a map using GRASS, or HUGO .