@Home ordered to shutdown at Midnight

Matthew S. Hallacy poptix at techmonkeys.org
Sun Dec 2 08:25:29 UTC 2001

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 09:39:12PM -0500, Jeff Wasilko wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 09:00:02PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >

> > I think it depends on whether you were originally a MediaOne cable system
> > or a TCI system.  MediaOne systems still use Roadrunner as their ISP,
> > while TCI was Excite-based. Lucky for me, I'm on a former MediaOne net.
>
> That's not correct. The old Mediaone/AT&T Broadband regions are
> not using RoadRunner. The systems and staff were split off from
> RoadRunner when AT&T had to divest it's interest in RoadRunner
> (as part of the AOL/TimeWarner merger, IIRC).
>
> -j

The last time my host actually resolved, it resolved to mediaone.net, as well
as the others still in my area that do resolve, my mail/news/proxy etc are
mediaone hosts, AT&T Broadband is what's on my bill, and I call Road Runner
for technical "support" (eh? your internet is broke? what's that all aboot?).

It's an interesting mix, and nobody has any idea what the others are doing,
my cable was once disconnected by a cable tech (contract worker, not an AT&T
employee) who had gotten the wrong apartment number (he chose to ignore the
bright orange tag that proclaimed the existance of telephone service), I called
AT&T locally, they said I had to call RoadRunner, I called RoadRunner and they
kept trying to get me to reboot my cable modem and check my internet settings
(my AT&T phone service was dead, no picture on the TV, and no cable sync)
it eventually took a call to the AT&T phone service department, and a few
comments about 911 availability to get them to send someone out and plug
the cable back in. I'm happy with the service, when they aren't breaking it.

				Matthew S. Hallacy