MPLS VPNs or not?

Vijay Gill vijay at umbc.edu
Tue Aug 7 16:19:37 UTC 2001

--On Tuesday, August 07, 2001 12:03 -0400 Christian Kuhtz
<ck at arch.bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Any new technology has glitches, which are typically resolved over time.
> That's an operational reality, too.  That's why there are precautions in
> place to prevent meltdowns, which start with testing and safety
> break-aways of your network to prevent meltdowns.. it's either time to
> come up with them or not  participate in the risk.  That's a choice you
> make, but not a thumbs up or  thumbs down on the value or effectiveness
> of a given technology or  architecture.  They certainly influence each

This is a pretty good summing up but I have always fallen on the
conservative side of the the continuing operational cost/benefit tradeoff.
Some folks will feel that this approach to mpls vpn yields an acceptable
number, some will not.

I strongly encourage the competition to deploy this (tm MO). Maybe it'll be
all good, and I'll be eating crow, won't be for the first time.

/vijay