MultiBind Testers Wanted

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Apr 11 17:28:22 UTC 2001

[ On Wednesday, April 11, 2001 at 08:05:14 (-0700), kevind at sea.checkpoint.com wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: MultiBind Testers Wanted
>
> The term BIND, as DNS software, was never owned by Mike Karels or I.
> Neather of us were the creators of BIND.  At the time we work on BIND,
> our work was owned by UCB.  The original creators of BIND were Douglas
> Terry, Mark Painter, David Riggle and Songnian Zhou.  They were
> working on their graduate degrees in Computer Science at UCB.  The
> first published paper about BIND is in the Proceeding of Summer USENIX
> Conference 1984, Salt Lake City.

Oh my!  I missed that reference!  Thank you very much for correcting me!

> I am not a lawyer but I could see that at some point the UCB Copyright
> would expire and that the ISC copyright would then pick up the term.

I think Vixie was alluding more to the trademark than the copyright.

I expect that in terms of copyright he, and/or ISC, own large chunks of
the BIND-8 code, and most of the BIND-9 code and documentation; though
unless they've received waivers from all contributors the whole thing
could get rather messy if anyone ever contested it.  Certainly I never
signed any waivers for my contributions to BIND-4 (though they were
implicitly freely redistributable, of course).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>