Interesting - No reaction to a smurf

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Oct 21 18:20:12 UTC 1999

> We currently have an ongoing attack, and cannot get
> a directly adjacent network to respond.
> (Participate in a traceback)
> The list at puck.nether.net has a few errors....
>    Jared: The following phone number is disconnected:
> Concentric Network Corp.
>    internex.net, concentric.net, concentric.com
>    2828
>    +1 408 327 2470

Cool!  I love it when we find these things out from
external sources.  :(  :(

I'll put a bee in the bonnet of the folks at work to
track this down and get it operational again.

> noc at internex.net
>   The phone number appears to be no longer operational.
> The email gets an auto-responder.
> We have not received a human response to an "urgent" in over
> 24 hours.
>    :(

If you are a peer of ours, please send correspondance to
"peering at concentric.net" -- that actually hits the clueful
people.  If for some reason that address gives errors, send
it to "peering at internex.net".  That second address isn't
supposed to exist anymore, of course, but it's always good
to have a second channel in case the primary fails.  :)

>  We have an ongoing attack that has been running for over 48
> hours total so far.......
>    Would someone with Concentrics (IP Clueful) Security
> please contact me!
> (And while you are at it, please update puck's NOC contact
> list)

How does one do that...I see a form for adding a new entry,
but I don't see a form for updating an existing entry.  :(

>   You appear to have a script kiddie pointing smurf at a
> downstream.

Please send as much of the relevant information on the attack
as you can to peering at concentric.net, and we will work with
you on tracking it down.  Please include which peering location
you are seeing the traffic from, and destination IPs that are
being hit.

>    Thanks!
>  Richard Irving
>  One Call Communications, Inc.

You're welcome--sorry it had to come to a public forum like this.  :(

Matt Petach
(from home, representing me and my bathrobe at the moment, and not
 much else.)