more Internic nightmare

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Tue Mar 23 23:11:14 UTC 1999

CC'd to Chuck Gomes, since I don't recall whether he reads this list or not.

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 05:43:46PM -0500, John Fraizer wrote:

> To: Derek Balling <dredd at megacity.org>, nanog at merit.edu
> From: John Fraizer <John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net>
> Subject: Re: more Internic nightmare
>
> Actually, I don't like this "solution" to the problem.
>
> First of all, not only does the InterNIC have to keep track of all the
> contact handles but, so do we, the domain owners.  Now that we have no way
> of listing more than 10 records in whois (Thanks NetSOL... No, really.
> Thanks. .!..) if you happen to lose the contact information for a domain,
> you're screwed.  You won't know who which contact to send any modifications
> from.
>
> Well, so much for that argument.  They have changed their policy again.
> The whois now lists more than 10 records again. (Thanks NetSOL... No,
> really.  Thanks. .!..)

> The simple fact is that NetSOL is out of control.  They seem to have the
> notion that they OWN the database.

They always have had that notion. Remember when they asserted that .COM
domains were their assets?

> They are stewards of the database, not
> the owners.  Until the community as a whole expresses their outrage of NSIs
> heavy-handed actions towards the community, they are going to continue down
> this path.

I'm ready to.

To add fuel to the fire, I continue to get snail mail for the Forum for
Responsible and Ethical E-mail, from companies OTHER than NetSol. Now, I am
well aware that, for example, many mailing lists got the address of a
company I own from corporate filings and the information on my vendor's
license. However, FREE is not yet incorporated, and the only record of any
mailing address is on the domain record for spamfree.org.

I wonder what Chuck has to say about that?

--
Steve Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net (AKA support at nacs.net and abuse at nacs.net)

    "The world is headed for mutiny/When all we want is unity"
          --Creed, "One"