more Internic nightmare

John Fraizer John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net
Tue Mar 23 22:43:46 UTC 1999

Actually, I don't like this "solution" to the problem.

First of all, not only does the InterNIC have to keep track of all the
contact handles but, so do we, the domain owners.  Now that we have no way
of listing more than 10 records in whois (Thanks NetSOL... No, really.
Thanks. .!..) if you happen to lose the contact information for a domain,
you're screwed.  You won't know who which contact to send any modifications
from.

Well, so much for that argument.  They have changed their policy again.
The whois now lists more than 10 records again. (Thanks NetSOL... No,
really.  Thanks. .!..)

They have taken the following away from us though:

root at Overkill primary]# whois "server NS17904-HST"
[rs.internic.net]
No match for server "NS17904-HST".

It worked a week ago, now, it doesn't.

The simple fact is that NetSOL is out of control.  They seem to have the
notion that they OWN the database.  They are stewards of the database, not
the owners.  Until the community as a whole expresses their outrage of NSIs
heavy-handed actions towards the community, they are going to continue down
this path.

BTW:  Where did ds.internic.net go?  How about ftp.internic.net?  I'll tell
you...

[root at Overkill primary]# host ftp.internic.net
ftp.internic.net is a nickname for ftp.ds.internic.net
ftp.ds.internic.net is a nickname for shutdown.ds.internic.net
shutdown.ds.internic.net has address 198.49.45.29

[root at Overkill primary]# traceroute ftp.internic.net
traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 209.41.244.2 @ eth0
traceroute to shutdown.ds.internic.net (198.49.45.29), 30 hops max, 40 byte
packets
 1  Border-Core0-Fast-eth1.Columbus.EnterZone.Net (209.41.244.1)  4.276 ms
66.212 ms  1.805 ms
 2  core1-eth0-ENTERZONE.Columbus.fnsi.net (209.115.127.21)  29.598 ms
12.102 ms  0.998 ms
 3  core1-eth0-ENTERZONE.Columbus.fnsi.net (209.115.127.21)  0.995 ms !H *
1.188 ms !H

It's time to drop a clue-bomb on VA.

At 02:10 PM 3/23/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Simple. Set up one of your domains to map admin.*@example.com to
>admin.contact at enterzone.net, billing.*@example.com to billing-contact,
>etc. and just send the e-mail to register foobar.com FROM the fictitious
>admin contact of, say, admin.foobar.com at example.com.
>
>If InterNIC wants to be anal-retentive, let their Contacts database get
>full, too.
>
>And sure you can say "that's abuse, and you shouldn't condone it", but if
>you think that the speculators aren't going to turn to this very same
>procedure, you need to lay off the crack pipe.

ML.ORG is gone.  Check out http://www.EZ-IP.Net - It's *FREE*
Get your *FREE* Parked Domain account at http://www.EZ-Hosting.Com
John Fraizer                      |    __   _                 |
The System Administrator          |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
mailto:John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/         | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
PGP Key fingerprint =  7DB6 1CA2 DAA6 43DA 3AAF  44CD 258C 3D7E B425 81A8