DS-3 Error Stats

Mark A. Cnota mcnota at ameritech.net
Mon Jun 14 23:10:18 UTC 1999

I wanted to pipe in and repeat something I heard. It might have been
written in a local ILEC tariff or something I heard as a verbal explanation.

You will find availability (% uptime or % error free) numbers in
some/most/all? tariffs. The "fine print" is that the availability number
given is calculated across everyone's circuits, not yours. So any
"guarantee" you might infer is probably much weaker than you might
originally have thought.

-Mark (not speaking for my employer or anyone else in particular)

(btw, last I checked aal5 reassembly errors - which are usually due to
dropped cells - show up as CRC errors on a cisco router interface)