Geektools SuperWhois update (re: Internic)

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Wed Dec 1 06:00:02 UTC 1999

As you by now know, as of two hours ago (Dec 1, EST) Network Solutions
changed their whois to "the new form". NSI being their normal secretive
selves, it appears that their new whois servers are not giving out the
"correct" information. They show the authoritative whois server for
their registrar as rs.internic.net, which, of course, shows the same
info as crsnic.

$ whois geektools.com at rs.internic.net
[rs.internic.net]

Whois Server Version 1.1

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: GEEKTOOLS.COM
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: rs.internic.net
   Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS1.ULTRADNS.NET
   Name Server: NS2.ULTRADNS.NET

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 30 Nov 99 00:40:30 EST <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

It appears that whois.networksolutions.com does give the detailed whois
data. We can't tell if this is an oversight, or on purpose.
None-the-less...

We've updated geektools superwhois (both the GUI at www.geektools.com
and the command line proxy at whois.geektools.com) to use
whois.networksolutions.com when appropriate. This 'breaks' the normal
operation of SuperWhois which correctly looks at crsnic first, then the
referred server. In this case, crsnic also says rs.internic.net. We'll
watch the bouncing ball, and when crsnic starts giving the correct
answer (whether whois.networksolutions.com or another) we'll undo the
hack.

The source tarballs are updated also, showing version 2.2.2. If NSI
pulls something else strange, we'll release 2.2.2a pronto.

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.