WWW/DNS problems

Michael Shields shields at msrl.com
Tue Aug 17 17:37:15 UTC 1999

In article <4.1.19990817105005.00a44360 at mailhost.broadcast.com>,
ddivinia at broadcast.com (Darin Divinia) wrote:
> I also had one to ti.com bounce.

At about 9:30 UTC h.root-servers.net was returning NXDOMAIN for most
though not all .com domains.  For example, amazon.com and netsol.com
were broken.

msrl.com worked, but all of its nameservers are in .net; ibm.com
worked, but all of its nameservers are within ibm.com and are covered
by glue records.  The pattern seemed to be that any domain with all of
its nameservers in .com but outside of its own zone would fail to
resolve from h.root-servers.net.  I only tried about a dozen domains
so the actual pattern may have been different.

I sent a mail this morning to hostmaster at internic.net (with no
response of course, but that's the SOA contact for .) and cc'd to
nanog (but I had neglected to subscribe to nanog-post).

It's interesting that there was no mention of this outage, which
caused hard mail bounces and other problems.
--
Shields.