in-addr.arpa question

Hank Nussbacher hank at ibm.net.il
Wed Aug 11 08:32:09 UTC 1999

I have a client who is now peering with BBN.  BBN supplied a /30 as follows:

207.112.240.113 is their side via a company they purchased called Nap.Net.
The DNS shows: NChicago2-core0.nap.net

Thats ok.  The other side is the customer colo router and the IP of
207.112.240.114 shows: chi2-vts.ianet.net

Now I claim that the domain ianet.net (based on Internic data) is some
company in WV and has nothing to do with us (ianet is the customer name we
were assigned by BBN).  BBN claims that is this their "standard naming
convention" for assigning customer interface names.

Traceroutes will show up with ianet.net in the path.  I claim this is in
violation of some RFC.  Am I wrong?  There may be many such PTR records
within BBN for "customername.net".

Thanks,
Hank