Linux Router KIT

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Fri Oct 30 04:55:16 UTC 1998

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:

> > Also, for a long time, Linux had a hard time with lots or routes.
>
> No longer applies. In fact Linux is now faster than BSD up to about
> 60-70,000 routes. BSD is faster at about 200,000. In between its about
> even.

Where/how are you doing simulations with that many routes?  Feeding full
routes to a linux 2.0.3x box running gated, I get:

# cat /proc/net/route | wc -l
  54677
and that command takes 13s to complete.  When dealing with that many
routes on a *nix box, better tools would be nice.  On my 3640, I can do a
show ip route blah, and get immediate response.  On the linux box above, I
have no such tool.  I should fire up a copy of gated 4.x and see how gii
performs, but its kind of a drag not being allowed to use the newer code
on anything but personal testing/development systems.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  to get the job done.