Linux Router KIT

Dan Hollis goemon at sasami.anime.net
Wed Oct 28 23:21:07 UTC 1998

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 alex at nac.net wrote:
> Lots of types interfaces? EIGRP? Things that Linux/PC does have is Hard
> drives that fail, etc; I guess you could do a flash thing, though. Other
> protocols, like IPX, Dec, ATalk, etc are not going to happen.

Eh?

IPX    : http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/IPX-HOWTO.html
Decnet : http://linux.dreamtime.org/decnet/
Atalk  : http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/

> Also, for a long time, Linux had a hard time with lots or routes.

No longer applies. In fact Linux is now faster than BSD up to about
60-70,000 routes. BSD is faster at about 200,000. In between its about
even.

> If you are going to use a PC as a router, use an Unix that has real net
> code, like xBSD.

Please, leave religion out of the discussion...

-Dan