ARIN?

Dan Watts dwatts at vitts.com
Mon Nov 9 20:15:07 UTC 1998

At 10:49 AM 11/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
>> I have to agree with Kim. That's why I shuddered when I thought of
>> every single static IP address at every ISP being SWIP'd. It would increase
>> ARIN's database exponentially and is not necessary.

And don't forget that you have to come up with a unique network name
for the SWIP'd IP, every time you change the assignment.

>The answer, of course, is rwhois since that lets you go to whatever level
>of detail you want, and use your own resources to do so.  However, using
>rwhois is easy to talk about but...

Agreed.  I think one thing that slows acceptance of rwhois is the lack
of client tools used to query the databases.  Most [all?] of the rwhois
clients don't support referral information, so getting complete information
on a query is difficult.

>When you have to justify all your allocations, it is convenient if you can
>have all the allocations SWIPed and not have to worry about different
>recording and procedures for different sized blocks.  You can get over
>that hurdle though, and once you are it isn't that difficult to deal with.

I found using rwhois was a lot easier to use than SWIP. I should admit
though that my experience predates the online forms.  I also found that
keeping the information up to date with rwhois is very easy [we just
change our database, re-export to the rwhois server, and we're done]
and we don't have to wait for the SWIP submittal turnaround time.

Dan

--
Dan Watts
Vitts Networks