ARIN?

Marc Slemko marcs at znep.com
Mon Nov 9 18:49:10 UTC 1998

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Steven J. Sobol wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 07:01:13PM -0500, Kim Hubbard wrote:
>
> > By asking you not to SWIP assignments longer than /29 ARIN is not
> > encouraging you to not issue them, we just don't think it's necessary
> > to have every single dialup user listed in WHOIS.
>
> I have to agree with Kim. That's why I shuddered when I thought of
> every single static IP address at every ISP being SWIP'd. It would increase
> ARIN's database exponentially and is not necessary.

The answer, of course, is rwhois since that lets you go to whatever level
of detail you want, and use your own resources to do so.  However, using
rwhois is easy to talk about but...

When you have to justify all your allocations, it is convenient if you can
have all the allocations SWIPed and not have to worry about different
recording and procedures for different sized blocks.  You can get over
that hurdle though, and once you are it isn't that difficult to deal with.