Xedia vs Packeteer Comparsion

Jonathan A. Zdziarski jonz at netrail.net
Sun Nov 1 13:54:04 UTC 1998

I was told that the xedia boxes only shape outgoing bandwidth, not
incoming.  I haven't had the chance to ask xedia about this yet, and
haven't gotten their box in yet, so I'm not positive if this is true, but
you may want to check it out before buying.

 On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, bcurnow
wrote:

> I got some followups/corrections on key points which I feel I should
> distribute:
>
> The person from Xedia who told me 600 was the class limit, emailed me
> again and realized that I might really mean how many end points under
> control of those classes.  The answer I came away with is that the Xedia
> can support a lot more end points (users) than 600.  Hope I got that
> right. :)
>
> An engineer at UU.net also said 600 was too low, and that it is more an
> issue of how much RAM is in the box.  He said thousands, which sounds
> promising.
>
> So, if I had to buy today, it looks like Xedia is the one to have if
> you're doing things on a large scale.

Thank you,

Jonathan A. Zdziarski
Sr. Systems Administrator