Xedia vs Packeteer Comparsion

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Tue Nov 3 18:11:47 UTC 1998

> I was told that the xedia boxes only shape outgoing bandwidth, not
> incoming.  I haven't had the chance to ask xedia about this yet, and
> haven't gotten their box in yet, so I'm not positive if this is true, but
> you may want to check it out before buying.

We have several of the Xedia boxes, and they shape only on the
outgoing port; of course, this simply means that you can configure
two different CBQ's for a given IP or port range, one on the
"outgoing" port to the server, and one on the "outgoing" port to
the rest of the net.  :)  It's an issue of technical correctness
versus real utility.  So the real answer is that the Xedia can
rate shape in both directions, it simply does the rate shaping
on the corresponding "out" interface for the particular direction
of traffic.

Hope this helps!

Matt