IPv8 < IPv6

Bradley Reynolds brad at b63695.student.cwru.edu
Wed Nov 12 07:10:44 UTC 1997

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Jim Fleming wrote:

> Thanks for the responses to my IPv8 note.
>
> In case people missed the point, IPv8 addresses
> are smaller than IPv6. Here are the sizes.
>
> IPv4 - 32 bits
> IPv6 - 128 bits
> IPv8 - 43 bits (3+8+32)
>
> There is a natural routing hierarchy with IPv8
> addressing....8 regions, 256 distribution centers
> in each region and full 32 bit Internets from there.
> IPv8 addresses can fit inside the IPv6 address fields.

Make sure that the alternic crowd (when they
get out of jail) controls one of those 8 regions.  This
scheme imposes an administrative hierarchy to addressing/networking
which is not conducive to the kind of growth we have seen to date.

Granted, there will be an administrative hierarchy no
matter how you structure addresses, but I would rather that the
consumer decides who is going to administer the tiers
of such a hierarchy instead of leaving that decision
to the protocol fairy.

brad reynolds
ber at cwru.edu
"Faith:  not wanting to know what is true."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche