/17 and greater prefixes in Class A range

Thomas Trede tom at nacamar.de
Sun May 18 22:32:17 UTC 1997

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> At 09:04 AM 5/18/97 -0400, Bradley Dunn wrote:
>
> This brings up a problem I have been trying to solve for a while that I have
> not found an answer to.  A company with an old style Class B (/16) wants to
> be multihomed and split their incoming load between 2 ISPs (outgoing they
> can live with going via 1 and if the primary fails they fallback to the
> secondary conenction).  In order to split the load on incoming, one ISP has
> to announce a /17 and the other ISP has to announce a /17 (or even the
> entire /16).  But since this net is from the 147.x.x.x range, various ISPs
> around the globe will filter out the /17.  This means that having a /16 from
> the 192.x.x.x range is better (these days), unless someone can show me a
> solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

Hank,

since RIPE has been assigned 62.0.0.0/8 and RIPE started to assign
allocations ranging between /16 to /19 to Local Internet Registries (i.e.
ISPs) througout Europe, the problem regarding filtering prefixes greater
than /16 out of the Class A range will be addressed fairly soon, I guess.

Regards,
  Thomas

Thomas Trede                          NACAMAR Data Communications
                                      Frankfurter Strasse 135-141
                                      63303 Dreieich / Germany
e-mail: trede at nacamar.net             voice: +49-6103-9901-0
www   : www.nacamar.net               fax  : +49-6103-9901-18