Emergency backup for a small net

Deepak Jain deepak at jain.com
Sun May 18 18:06:38 UTC 1997

Couldn't/wouldn't you just be able to BGP announcement the /16 to both
providers and if one gets a little too well announced [i.e. not even
split] unsweeten it with a higher metric?

The idea of splitting a /16 into two /17s for the sole purpose of getting
two providers is a little shaky in my world it strikes me as twice as
vulnerable to outage.

You *could* announce the same /16 to both upstreams and then 1 of the two
/17s to [each] to the two providers [as a more specific route] -- if they
take it, great, if they don't you are still covered with the /16.

-Deepak.