UUNET Press Release on Peering

Deepak Jain deepak at jain.com
Mon May 12 17:53:13 UTC 1997

Strikes me that the terms "diversely routed" and "geographically diverse"
can be interpretted wildly.

For most networks, I don't see a real problem dropping a couple extra
pairs of DS3s (assuming they were only at two NAPs to begin with).

If UUNet requires a DS3 interconnect at LINX, MaeWest, MaeEast and say
(for giggles) Australia -- AND a diversely routed DS3 backbone in the
U.S. that takes on an entirely different meaning than the above.

Also note that a DS3 interconnect between UUNet and a potential peer's
network does NOT imply multiple DS3 connections [feeding either the UUNet
or peer's side].

This does seem remarkably less stringent than the first foray of press
did.

Any other opinions?

-Deepak.