UUNET Press Release on Peering

Michael S. Ramsey msr at interpath.net
Mon May 12 19:04:59 UTC 1997

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Deepak Jain wrote:

> This does seem remarkably less stringent than the first foray of press
> did.
>
> Any other opinions?
>
> -Deepak.

Possible scenario: UUNET recants position for things to cool down, then
pulls completely from every public meet-point. Their release does not even
hint at public meet-points, and, going on what I read at lunch in Network
World (May 5, 1997, Vol 14, #18) from the "ISP peering boosts reliability"
article, "Private peering started in late 1995 but is taking off
today. MCI is leading the way with more than 30 peering agreements."

Most interesting quote: Alan Taffel, VP of Marketing for UUNET, "We pulled
out of the MAEs to help the Internet."

+mike

(may I suggest we move this to com-priv? The announcement was great on
this list, but others might appreciate the discussion to be elsewhere)